Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Abbeville

For Christmas Ed gave me a book about ghosts that live in the Upstate. There are several in our area, they live under bridges and in old train tunnels. I have been to the Stump House Mountain several times and have never seen the one there.

I was more hopeful about the spirits in Abbeville. The birth and death of the Civil War happened here, and the one thing I know about Southerners, is their love for anything Civil War. Surely, someone has hung around waiting to avenge the way of life back then, or at the very least, to tell me how it was truly the "war of northern aggression."

Before leaving, I looked over my book. I knew of 2 places to search. The Opera House, and the Episcopal Church. I knew there could be more, it is a small book, so I need to keep my eyes open. After Ed took about 400 pictures of the statue in the main square, we headed over to the courthouse and Opera House.

The ghost of an older woman lives in the third floor balcony. I wasn't going to go up there, but I was hoping she would lean over the edge or something. Brenna and I sat down to take our own pictures while Ed wandered around. I saw him go up the stairs so I waited for a loud scream. He didn't see the ghost either, but I think Brenna did. This is what I saw...




Next, we went to the church. It was beautiful. I don't think they have changed anything in over a hundred years.. including the misprinted pew marker..


I did not see the ghost here. In fact, I did not see any ghosts in the whole town. I was very disappointed.

We did have a fantastic lunch and a great day. I am hoping that we can go back sometime with the older kids. I can't tell them to be on the look out, because Meredith will refuse to go. But, I will be ready.


3 comments:

Duck Hunter said...

I didn't take 400 pictures of that statue!! It was no more than fifty!

That only compares to the amount of photos you took of that historical marker sign. A SIGN!

One Scrappy Gal said...

What would you have done if you HAD seen a ghost???

Anonymous said...

Ahh..my poor Brenna looks terrified! Poor baby :)