Sunday, April 13, 2008

I'm telling!

"I'm telling." I hear this all day long, everyday. Unfortunately, this is not always the kids telling on each other. They like to tell on Ed and me. I can't count the number of times I have come home to one of the kids waiting at the door. "Daddy fed us ice-cream for dinner," or "Daddy made us play the Wii, even though you grounded us for life from it."

I remember once when Randy was about 3. Meredith was a tiny baby. We were visiting some friends out of town, and Ed stayed home. At a busy restaurant, I misplaced Randy for about 2 minutes. He had run off while I was trying to pay for our lunch and hold onto the baby carrier. I, truly, only let go of his hand to reach into my pocket to pay the bill. Anyway, I wasn't going to mention our adventure to Ed. My beautiful son, the one that could barely talk, walked into our home 2 days later screaming "Mommy lost me in Gainesville!" Little snot.

Sometimes, these children threaten to call our mothers. Sometimes, I hide my phone.

Not too long ago, our children tried several times to tell on us to our good friends. One of our friends is our previous pastor. "Jack?" Randy said. "Do you drink alcohol?" I knew where this was going. I kicked the boy under the table.

This past week our children spent a lot of the time talking to our parents. Some time was used to divulge our misdeeds. More time was used to verify the stories we have told the kids about our past. I don't know which is worse. Next time we go on vacation I am taking the duct tape.

3 comments:

Farm Girl in MD said...

kids are good at telling things parents don't want them to. When my youngest brother was 2 he told us everything we were getting for Christmas. That was the last time he ever went Christmas shopping with mom.

Anonymous said...

Do they rat out Aunts as well?? I might have to be careful :)

One Scrappy Gal said...

My brother used to do that. One day, mom gave him such a beating and he never did it again. Not that I'm advocating a beating... but it's OK to fantasize...