Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Ride, part 2

I checked Ed's blog this morning and saw that he wrote about our horseback ride. I have been meaning to write about it myself, but we have been spending too much time playing Civ 4 instead. And I mean instead of things like blogging, laundry, dishes, and even NASCAR watching. (Please no one tell me who have won the last two races, I have them on TiVo.)

So, my version of our anniversary:

I knew Ed was planning something, because he asked me to find a babysitter for Monday morning. While Randy and Meredith spend plenty of time at other people's homes, Brenna has never been at the "baby sitter's." I have only left her two times. Once for about 20 minutes, with my closest friend, and once with Ed's mom while the rest of us went to dinner half a block away. The times I have left her home with Ed are very few as well.

I called our close friends, (family) Bill and Jewell. They would be happy to watch my princess. I knew she would be well taken care of, Bill and Jewell love her as much as we do. Randy went with his friend and Meredith went camping with hers.

For a week, Ed had been giving my hints about what we were doing. I thought about hot air ballooning, which I was not going to do. I would watch, and take pictures though. I thought about kayaking, which I was sure what we were doing until the last clue. I was told to wear jeans or slacks. I had even thought about horseback riding, but I was so focused on the others, that I passed it by. About 10 minutes from where the stables were, I guessed right. There was nothing else around, unless we were going to go buy a goat, except trees and horses.

Ed's part of the story picks up here, with the paying and getting out horses. His was HUGE, mine was very nice looking and smaller. I thought about laughing at my good fortune, but Ed looked a bit scared so I didn't. We got the horses ready and went to the corral to practice. Ed was already there, walking in circles. It didn't look too hard. I went in, made half a lap, and my horse stopped. It wouldn't start up again. I try kicking it, pushing it, talking to it.. Nothing. Suddenly, she started moving. It turns out that she was spooked by a fox the week before in that same spot. I guess she was making sure the fox was gone before continuing.

Off we went.. I asked the guide what I should do if Maggie stopped again. She told me that Maggie liked to eat leaves and would try to stop, but I was the boss. I had to control the horse. Yeah right, I thought. This horse could decide it wanted a snack much more than it wanted to go for a walk, and throw me on the ground. I knew the horse was the boss, I was just hoping Ed's horse would push mine around the trail.

We didn't have any problems after that. Both horses followed the guide. We had a wonderful time. It was very beautiful.

When we left the farm, we got lunch. I was ready to get my baby back, so we went and got her. She had a great time. She didn't even cry. She is a little closer to saying "Bill" than "Mama," but I am still working on it.